Wood

Saturday, November 16, 2013

(30 Days to a More Naturally Vibrant You) Day 16: Minimize.... simplify

I am kind of a minimalist.

I began the journey of minimizing a few years ago, like most of us, with Flylady. She recommends decluttering as part of a routine. But it started going deeper than that for me. Everytime I really cleared out an area, I felt like I could breathe. While laying with R to get him to sleep I would mentally think through different closets and rooms to think about what I could get rid of, and how I could better organize and utilize what I have.

E a few weeks old... pondering minimalism ;)
Since then, the kids and I moved into an apartment near my parents while my husband was deployed, leaving most of our stuff in a storage unit. Then, we acquired more stuff, and moved back, essentially merging two households to rejoin my husband.

So right now, I don't really feel like a minimalist. I feel more like an aspiring minimalist.... but working my way back towards that.

“If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
William Morris

Becoming Minimalist is a great place to look for learning about that. He calls it "rational minimalism", which I think is so great, because it is filled with grace (which I am all about!) and isn't about attaining some specific level of minimalism... it's about recognizing what owning less looks like for your family. I believe it was from becoming minimalist but I can't find the quote... Anyways I remember reading something to the effect of "Getting rid of stuff makes more room for people.". When you are not so busy cleaning, decluttering, organizing, dusting, buying.... you are better able to spend time with the people you love doing the things you love.

The people I love <3 td="">

The Year of Less is a lovely blog written by the writer of The Complete Guide to Imperfect Homemaking. The year of less is no longer being updated, but the blog posts are still just wonderful, I strongly encourage you to check it out if it peaks your interest.

Is there something you can minimize or simplify today?

No comments:

Post a Comment