Wood

Sunday, November 17, 2013

(30 Days to a Naturally More Vibrant You) Day 17: Paint




There is something so soothing and therapeutic about painting. The way the brush moves, seeing your vision come alive on canvas, watching it evolve, maybe even differently than you thought it would.

I painted this while my husband was deployed, just a few weeks away from returning home. It was such love painting, anticipating his arrival, and trying to make our bedroom the best it could be... romantic, soothing, inviting, relaxing.

My Process
First off, I taped 3 canvases together on the backs, so they would be cohesive. I wanted a large painting, because we don't have a headboard (so I needed something to fill the space).
I started out with painting the background color.... I wet the canvas and then brushed the sky on.
I traced the large parts of the tree out with pencil very lightly.
After that, it was just layering and layering. There are at least 3 versions of brown in that tree.
Then I painted in the sun, and it was too bright, so I brushed over it some, and then painted back in some of the tree branches on top.
After all of this, the sky needed touching up (because I kept messing up and had residue from that) so I mixed up a slightly darker teal color and painted around the outline (you can see by the branches is the lighter sky color).
Lastly, I stenciled I love the way you say Good Morning with white paint, and outlined it with a silver paint pen. The lyrics are from one of "our songs", by Ingrid Michaelson, The Way I Am. (the video is kind of odd... the music is awesome).
This was one of those projects where we probably had cereal for dinner because I worked on it for a good portion of the day, and finished it within 2 days.

My History with Paint
Growing up I was homeschooled for the high school-ish portion of my life (plus 6 months in 6th grade) and for a good chunk of that, I attended an amazing co-op once a week. During that co-op, all the moms paid an amount towards an art teacher, Ms. Mahan to come and teach classes (each age group had their own class). It was craze-mazing (reference: Parks and Recreation, the best show ever). Looking back, I learned a lot about art techniques. Without going on too much of a tangent about how awesome she was, I do have some history with art, but I do not consider myself a painter per se.
I texted my family a picture of it after I was done and my sister said, "I didn't know you could paint!" and I said, "Me neither!". SO you never know, until you try.

I think I may paint something new this week. I'm feeling the need for some art therapy.

Have you ever tried painting something? What do you feel inspired to paint?

No comments:

Post a Comment